When it comes to retirement, many people are willing to give up the hectic pace of city life, but not the culture and enriching activities. Where–and how–to find the perfect balance?
The Bay of Quinte area is emerging as one of the most desirable locations for retirement. Located between Toronto and Ottawa, charming towns, such as Belleville, offer exciting options for a satisfying and active retirement. Ryan Williams, president of the Bay of Quinte Tourism, says “Retirees are a major demographic moving to the region.”
Mr. Williams stated, “We have 1,200 kilometres of waterfront, a new marina built in Quinte West and four other marinas, plus 23 golf courses in the area. We are close to three major cities – Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal – and with the Union-Pearson express being finished next year, a retiree could get a train in Belleville and go by rail all the way to an international airport.”
According to a recent Ipsos Reid poll, four out of 10 Toronto residents are considering moving from Toronto due to the expense. Mr. Williams reports that for retirees, the lower costs of the Quinte area are attractive; according to the Quinte District Association of Realtors, $214,464 was the average home price in October of 2014.
Retiring in the Quinte area does not mean a lack of activity!
- Prince Edward County has 30 wineries, a distillery, a microbrewery, artisans, galleries and upscale restaurants and hotels.
- The Great Canadian Cheese Festival takes place each June at the Picton Fairgrounds. Volunteers are needed!
- In July, don’t miss the Belleville Waterfront and Ethnic Festival.
- Jogging, cycling, and walking along Belleville’s waterfront trails.
- Experience world-class fishing all year round.
- Water? You bet! Boat and yacht moorings, beaches, and waterfront restaurants and bars make it easy to enjoy the views.
- Play golf at one of the 23 courses! Now that you’re retiring, you can really enjoy this sport any day of the week.
- Local clubs and groups offer social activities. Gardening? Quilting? Service? Theatre?
- Unsurpassed natural beauty. When was the last time you really saw the stars? Or took a peaceful walk among the beautiful autumn trees?
Retirement communities offer lovely homes with minimal maintenance in secure settings. Amenities include a full range of living, dining, and cultural activities. Gyms and pools encourage healthy lifestyles. Some communities get you moving with daily exercise classes and group outings.
Examples of retirement communities and real estate choices:
Amica at Quinte Gardens has been designed to anticipate–and deliver–every possible wish of the active retiree. As a full-service community, it offers several levels of care, depending on individual needs.
Wellington on the Lake is an adult-only community with an amazing range of indoor and outdoor activities. The groups–with everything from golf to cards to tap dance–will keep you busy.
Geertsma Homes offers ten communities with a variety of housing options, from condos to single-owner homes.
Duvanco Homes – One of the areas leading Home Builders offering condo, townhouse, and single family homes in all price ranges!
When it comes time to stop your daily commute and start living life on your own terms, contact me to learn more about the many retirement options. I have much experience in all aspects of Quinte Bay living and retirement. I can help you find the perfect place–and help get you started on the next chapter of your life!